Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Mostly this famous Bavarian cheese dip is made with beer. There is gluten free beer, but considering how expensiv it is, I wouldn't waste it for cheese dips... When I visited my friends near Munich lately, they told me that they actually make obatzda without beer. So this is it :-) If you want to keep the dip for some days, omit the shallot and serve with thinly sliced onion instead. Cooking time is refrigeration time.
- 1 ounce shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 1⁄2 ounces cottage cheese
- 3 1⁄2 ounces cream cheese
- 3 1⁄2 ounces butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 ounces camembert cheese or 3 1⁄2 ounces brie cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 dashes pepper
- Finely mince shallot and garlic clove.
- roughly chop the camembert or brie.
- place minced shallot and garlic with the other ingredients in a food processor and process on medium until everything is blended together to a smooth cream with some small lumps.
- chill for some hours.
- serve cold with crackers or raw veggies.
Delicious, creamy and easy-to-make. Every Friday, I take a dip to share at drinks after work. This was certainly a crowd-pleaser, and perfect served with celery and carrot sticks. I made a few little changes -- I used 2 ounces of shallot, and added three cloves of garlic and a teaspoon of caraway seed. Made and enjoyed for ZWT6.
Yum! I had to use scallions as I had no shallots, but otherwise followed the recipe. I served it at room temp. on crackers and celery sticks. Thanks for posting this yummy dip!
Delicious Mia, thanks for posting this recipe!
I had some obatzda some weeks ago at work. I really wanted to try this myself and this recipe came just perfect for us.
For the dinner we prepared the half portion for us 4. The minor changes were: no blender, but simply a fork to mash and a finely chopped green onion instead of garlic.
After letting sit for a couple of hours we enjoyed it with fresh pretzels (Soft Pretzels #191322) and some salad. All together the perfect quantity for dinner.
Please try this super easy recipe(s) and you will enjoy them for sure. It's super easy!