Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My daughter-in-law gave me this recipe about seven years ago. They came to visit us and she made it for a supper for the kids. Of course, we all loved it. You could use Kielbasa instead of the vegetarian hot dogs and that would be good too! I have made it that way a few times and it tastes so good that way! When we have vegetarian guests, I make it the regular way for them and we still love it that way too. Cook time does not include the time for cooking the vegetables ahead of time.
- 8 cups cubed potatoes, peeled and cooked tende crisp with 1/4 c water from cooking reserved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups sliced carrots, cooked tender crisp (when I have been in a hurry, I have used 1 15 oz. can of sliced carrots drained)
- 4 celery ribs, chopped fine (not too fine though because you want them to be noticable both in taste and texture)
- 1 lb savoy cabbage, shredded and cooked until tender 1/4 c water from cooking reserved
- 1 (20 ounce) can Worthington veja-links, chopped into rounds with 1/4 c of liquid reserved
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup half-and-half
- milk, enough to make soup
- sour cream (to garnish)
- green onion, slices (to garnish)
- pepper, to sprinkle over top of soup bowl
- Cook potatoes and drain.
- Cook carrots and drain (or use 15 oz. can of sliced carrots drained).
- Set aside.
- Saute onion and celery in margarine until tender and reduced.
- Cook cabbage until tender and drain.
- Put everything in crock pot.
- Add half and half, milk and the reserved liquids from the cooked veggies.
- Stir well
- Cook on high stirring frequently for three hours.
- Serve in bowls.
- PPut a dollop of sour cream on top of bowl and sprinkle with green onions.
- Sprinkle pepper into soup if you desire.