3 hrs 20 mins
My daughter-in-law gave me this recipe about seven years ago. They came to visit us and she made it for a supper for the kids. Of course, we all loved it. You could use Kielbasa instead of the vegetarian hot dogs and that would be good too! I have made it that way a few times and it tastes so good that way! When we have vegetarian guests, I make it the regular way for them and we still love it that way too. Cook time does not include the time for cooking the vegetables ahead of time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups cubed potatoes, peeled and cooked tende crisp with 1/4 c water from cooking reserved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups sliced carrots, cooked tender crisp (when I have been in a hurry, I have used 1 15 oz. can of sliced carrots drained)
- 4 celery ribs, chopped fine (not too fine though because you want them to be noticable both in taste and texture)
- 1 lb savoy cabbage, shredded and cooked until tender 1/4 c water from cooking reserved
- 1 (20 ounce) can Worthington veja-links, chopped into rounds with 1/4 c of liquid reserved
- 2 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup half-and-half
- milk, enough to make soup
- sour cream (to garnish)
- green onion, slices (to garnish)
- pepper, to sprinkle over top of soup bowl
- 1Cook potatoes and drain.
- 2Cook carrots and drain (or use 15 oz. can of sliced carrots drained).
- 3Set aside.
- 4Saute onion and celery in margarine until tender and reduced.
- 5Cook cabbage until tender and drain.
- 6Put everything in crock pot.
- 7Add half and half, milk and the reserved liquids from the cooked veggies.
- 8Stir well
- 9Cook on high stirring frequently for three hours.
- 10Serve in bowls.
- 11PPut a dollop of sour cream on top of bowl and sprinkle with green onions.
- 12Sprinkle pepper into soup if you desire.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bavarian Cabbage Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (596 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.8
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 17.9 mg
- Sodium 374.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: