Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this on CDKitchen and it was delicious!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 links fresh bratwursts
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 apples, unpeeled and cut in 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large skillet, brown bratwurst in butter on all sides; remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions to skillet; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add apples and brown sugar; cook 5 minutes.
- Remove apple slices and set aside.
- Add flour to skillet; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Return sausages and apples to pan; bring to boil.
- Lower heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
This was okay, I made it as written. We didn't like the texture of the apples, or the chewy skin of them. We also thought there was too much pepper for the delicate flavor of the apples. And I didn't understand why I needed to stir the flour until smooth for 2-3 minutes in the pan, so I added the broth/juice to it and made a roux. I don't think this will be made by us again.