Recipe by Miss Annie
A tasty beef dish from the crock pot. The steps may look tedious, but they are not at all. This is a good dish to try with a hearty rye or pumpernickel bread.
Top Review by oliveoil
This recipe has great flavor! If you didn't know what was in it, you would be guessing the whole time you are eating. The instructions call for adding onions but there were none in the list of ingredients so I just sliced up an onion. I also baked it in the oven at 300 degrees for 4 hours.My leftovers will be the basis for some great beef and noodles. I'm a personal chef and I'll be cooking this for a client this week. This recipe can cook while I'm making everything else.
- 2 -3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 3⁄4 cup chopped kosher dill pickle
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup German mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or 2 tablespoons beef broth
- hot cooked noodles
- chopped dill pickle (garnish)
- cooked crumbled bacon (garnish)
- 1 large onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat from roast.
- In a large skillet, brown roast on all sides in hot oil.
- Meanwhile in place carrots, onions, 3/4 pickles, and celery in crock pot.
- Place meat on top of veggies, cutting the roast to fit, if necessary.
- In a small bowl, combine wine or broth, mustard, pepper, cloves and bay leaves.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours; or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove meat from pot and place on platter, keeping warm.
- For gravy: transfer the cooking liquid to a 2 quart saucepan.
- Skim off fat and remove bay leaves.
- Stir together the flour and the remaining 2 tablespoons wine or broth.
- Stir into the gravy mixture.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened an bubbly.
- Add vegetables and stir one or two more minutes more to warm up vegetables.
- Serve the meat with vegetable gravy and noodles.
- Garnish with chopped pickles and bacon.