Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is posted for ZWT II. From a cookbook called Specialties of the House.
- 6 pork chops, 1 inch thick, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons fat or 2 tablespoons lard
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sauerkraut
- 3 cups pureed apricots
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- Saute pork chops in the fat until lightly browned on both sides.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, then remove from skillet.
- Add onions to the skillet and saute for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the sauerkraut under cold water; drain well.
- Combine the sauerkraut with the apricots, caraway seeds and sauteed onions.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place 3/4 of the sauerkraut mixture in a greased 2-quart baking dish, arrange pork over it, then cover with the remaining sauerkraut.
- Cover and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, removing cover during last 15 minutes of cooking.