Recipe by Kerena
This recipe was one of the first I received in response to my requests! It came from a wonderful friend, Alicia Childs. I really appreciated her enthusiasm in helping me with this project!!! She noted "This recipe is so special to me. It is from my Mother's mom Friedl Mayr."
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon, tbs sugar (set aside)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (set aside)
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, cut into thin slices
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 9 apples
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs or 1⁄3 cup crushed cracker
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all dry ingredients together mix with hands.
- Cut in butter.Try not to over mix but mix well.
- Beat eggs combined with cold water into dry ingredients.
- Kneed until it forms a roll (not too long).
- Divide dough in half (1 top & 1 bottom. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Roll out both crusts place in greased baking dish.
- Peel and slice about 9 apples.
- Put apples on bottom crust.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs,saved sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll top dough out and place on top.
- Punch holes with fork.
- Bake 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden.
- 1/2 cups powder sugar and add Hot water until it is a thick consistency. Pour on top and let cool.