Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you search the web, you will find dozens of "Bauernfruhstuck" (Farmer's Breakfast) recipes. The wonderful thing is that most of them are different. In a farm household, breakfast fortifies the field workers for a hard day's work in the fields. My version has its roots in my mother's heritage as the daughter of an German immigrant farmer in Nebraska in the first half of the 20th Century. I have modified it to use at hand items and leftover potatoes. Essen Sie und genieen Sie!
- 2 large baking potatoes, cooked
- 8 links brown and serve sausages
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut the baked potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes without removing the skins.
- Saute the onions and peppers in two tablespoons of olive oil for 4- 5 minutes in a 12-inch skillet.
- Remove the onions and peppers and set aside.
- Cook the brown and serve sausage in the same pan.
- Remove the sausage and set aside.
- Put the potatoes in the pan and fry on one side for 5 minutes, turn, and fry on other side for 3 minutes.
- Return the vegetables and sausage to the pan.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and Adobo together, add to the pan, and stir while cooking.
- When the eggs firm up, add the grated cheese, stir several times, and remove from the heat.
- Serve at once with breads on the side.
- Note: Adobo is a commercial mixture of salt, pepper, garlic, and other spices.
- Substitution: 1 teaspoon of garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
This was so good! I baked the potatoes in the microwave, and while those were cooking, I chopped my onions and peppers, and mixed up the egg, milk and adobo. I increased the eggs to 3, since my oldest daughter was having some, too. I wouldn't be afraid to add more egg next time, either. There's plenty of other ingredients that I think would hold up well with additional egg mixed in. Very easy to prepare, and delicious! Great for a Sunday morning breakfast/brunch, or even for a quick weeknight meal. Thanks for sharing the recipe!