1/2 Photos of Bauern Brot (Bavarian Bread)
2 hrs 30 mins
Bayern Chef's Note:
We've worked really hard to duplicate the bread I used to eat at my Oma's house in Berching Germany (Bayern). This bread has the same texture, taste and aroma and is very easy to make. When done spread real butter on a slice and some schinken on top!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix White flour, Dark Rye into a large mixing bowl.
- 2Mix dry yeast with 2 teaspoons sugar in separate bowl.
- 3Add in ½ cups lukewarm water and mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- 4Add yeast mixture to flour mixture in a small indentation in the center of the flour and let sit for 15 minutes covered.
- 5Add in 3 ¼ tsp salt before kneading.
- 6Begin kneading the complete mixture and add in the rest of the lukewarm water (20 fluid ounces) until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl sides. (Add a small bit of flour if too sticky).
- 7Important: Knead for a minimum of 15 minutes, until the dough is smooth and sleek.
- 8Cover and place in a warm spot for about 30 minutes and let rise.
- 9Knead one more time, form into a loaf or ball shape, cover with a damp cloth and place in a pre-heated oven for 40 minutes at 50° C (120 F).
- 10Place Bauernbrot on a baking sheet lightly greased, and brush loaf with water.
- 11Pre-heat oven to 250° C (480 F).
- 12Place bread on the second from bottom rack.
- 13Pour 2 cups of water into a broiler pan on the bottom rack of the oven to create steam. (Careful of the steam!).
- 14Important: Immediately close the door.
- 15After 10 minutes drop the temperature to 190° C (375) and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes. (Watch loaf).
- 16Remove bread from oven.
- 17When you tap on the bottom of the Bauernbrot it should sound hollow.
- 18The Bauernbrot is done.
- 19Rub flour onto finished Bauernbrot and let cool.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bauern Brot (Bavarian Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.3
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 634.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 12.5 g