Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an excellent squash casserole. This recipe has been in our family for years and is a favorite!
- 2 lbs yellow squash, cut into slices 1/2-inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces crushed saltines
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 ounces half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cook squash till tender and allow to drain well.
- Saute onion in butter.
- Add eggs to squash and blend well.
- Add onions and butter to squash and blend.
- Add salt and brown sugar.
- Alternate adding cracker crumbs and the half and half to the squash.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Pour into greased baking dish.
- Bake 45 minutes at 375*.
- Makes 6-8 servings.
This deserves a 9 on a scale of 1 to 5. We all loved it! I cut the recipe in half and used 2 eggs. Made it in the morning, keep it in the fridge, brought it to room temp and popped it in the oven 30 minutes before dinner. This is a keeper for sure
This was nice. I think next time I'll kick it up a notch by adding some garlic & maybe some cayenne. A bit blander than we care for, but yummy, none-the-less. I think I'll also use Club-style crackers next time (buttery flavor) - this would probably change the flavor as well. Great side dish, though - for us 'non-squash' eaters, this went over well. (trying to get some veggie variety into our diet!!) Thanks for sharing!
I saw your recommendation at the new place, 4fff's, and we loved it! Will definitely mske often as yellow squash just loves to grow in our yard.