Recipe by Chef mariajane
I got this recipe from a close friend of mine, Wendy, and it is THE best fried chicken recipe ever!! I love itI hope you enjoy it -
Top Review by The Spice Guru
As a fan of fried chicken, I loved this recipe. The skillet mirepoix is a brilliant way to season the chicken before frying. I will keep this recipe and will be making it again. Thanks, mariajane! Made for ALL YOU CAN COOK BUFFET 2011.
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chicken, cut into serving pieces
- salad oil or shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salad oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, combine celery, onion, bay leaf, salt and 1 cup water. Add chicken pieces. Bring to a boil; cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Drain chicken pieces. Pat dry with paper towels and let cool.
- In deep fryer or skillet, at least 2-inches deep, slowly heat oil to 375F on deep fry thermometer. Also preheat oven to 300°F.
- Meanwhile, make batter. Sift flour with baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In medium bowl, with rotary beaters, beat eggs, milk and oil until combined. Add flour mixture gradually, beating until smooth.
- Dip chicken pieces in batter coating evenly. Deep fry a few pieces at a time, turning occasionally, 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Drain well on paper towels.
- Keep browned chicken in oven while rest of chicken cooks.
- SOOOOO GOOOOD!