Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this in a magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- vegetable oil
- 2 lbs skinless cod fish fillets, cut into 4-inch pieces
- In a bowl, whisk mayonnaise with ketchup, lemon juice, and Tabasco. Set aside.
- Pour water into large bowl. With mixer at low speed, beat in 2 cups fliour, 1/2 tsp salt, and baking soda.
- In large saucepan, heat oil to 360 degrees. Dust 5 pieces of cod with flour, tapping off excess. Dig cod in batter; add to hot oil.
- Fry to golden brown and crisp, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove from oil and transfer to a rack lined with paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining fish and batter.
- Sprinkle with salt, if desired, and serve with sauce.