Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
I got this out of a recipe book that came with some cookware I bought at a state fair when I was 18! If these rolls don't knock the socks off your guests there is something seriously wrong! Easy to make, incredible to eat.
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (105* - 115 *)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast (I use Fleischmann's)
- 1 egg
- 3 1⁄2 cups unsifted flour
- Place milk in 2 cup measuring cup and microwave up to 3 minutes until scalded.
- Stir in sugar, salt and butter.
- Measure warm water in 2 quart bowl and sprinkle in yeast.
- Add lukewarm milk mixture, egg and 2 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Cover bowl and let stand in warm place, free from draft until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
- Punch down.
- Shape into 24 rolls.
- Place in 9x13 pan or jelly roll pan Cover and let rise about 30 minutes (as above) Heat oven to 400* Bake rolls 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
WOW! When you say 30 minutes to rise, you're not kidding! I made the dough in my ABM and 25 minutes later, it had crested the top of the pan! These rolls are EXCELLENT! The best I've tried so far on this site. I added about 1/4 cup more flour and when I turned out the dough, it was still pretty sticky, so I just buttered up my hands (a couple of times!), kneaded it down and formed into 15 rolls for a 13x9x2 pan. I had a whole lot left over, so I froze it in well-buttered plastic wrap surrounded by a zip-top plastic bag. I don't know if I'll try any other recipe for rolls again. This one is PERFECT. Thank you for sharing, KC!
Quick, simple, delicious - who could ask for anything more? I used a jelly roll pan and made 24 rolls. They were a perfect size for us. The dough is a bit sticky so one might be tempted to add more flour. I did not - just floured my hands and dusted my work space. These are going into my "tried and true" file. Thanks KCShell.
I made this as directed but only made 15 rolls. These rolls raised beautifully and tasted delicious.