Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe is from Crisco.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 lb fresh zucchini (about 3 medium) or 1 lb summer squash (about 3 medium)
- butter flavor shortening, for frying
- grated parmesan cheese
- COMBINE 1 cup flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, lemon pepper, onion powder, milk and egg in medium bowl. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- PLACE remaining 1/2 cup flour in plastic or paper bag. Cut zucchini into 1/4-inch diagonal slices. Rinse and pat dry. Shake slices in flour to coat.
- MELT shortening to a depth of 2 to 3 inches in a deep fryer or deep saucepan; heat to 375ºF. Dip floured zucchini in chilled batter. Let excess drip back into bowl.
- FRY a few at a time in hot oil 4 to 4 1/2 minutes, or until golden brown, turning several times. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately or keep warm in 175ºF oven. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.