These are great homemade onion rings that are batter fried rather than having a bread crumb coating. They are addictive...be careful :)
- Cover onion slices with cold water and let stand 30 minutes.
- Remove to paper towels and press to dry.
- Separate into rings.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Combine milk and egg in a medium bowl and add dry ingredients and melted shortening; mix thoroughly.
- Dip onion rings in batter and fry in deep fryer or skillet filled with a couple of inches of oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.