Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are great homemade onion rings that are batter fried rather than having a bread crumb coating. They are addictive...be careful :)
- Cover onion slices with cold water and let stand 30 minutes.
- Remove to paper towels and press to dry.
- Separate into rings.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Combine milk and egg in a medium bowl and add dry ingredients and melted shortening; mix thoroughly.
- Dip onion rings in batter and fry in deep fryer or skillet filled with a couple of inches of oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.
While the flavor was good, we didn't like the breading. It was too thick and chewy. We prefer a lighter, crisper breading. I had to add about 1/4 cup more milk (I used buttermilk) since it was like paste without it. I think it would have been even better if I had added an additional 1/2 cup milk. With it this thick, a lot of it stuck to each onion ring. I was only able to coat one onion worth of rings. I don't see how it could ever coat 6 onions.
Karen this batter rocks! my husband was craving onion rings with our hamburgers and this really hit the spot thank you! I did add a bit more milk and i added some paprika these were great thank you so much
This batter was just okay -- too thick and got soggy very quickly. I tried it again substituting beer for the milk to no avail. I will keep searching for the ultimate onion ring batter!