Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I wanted to save this recipe to try this summer when my tomatos are abundant!
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 6 ripe firm tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add beaten egg and mix well.
- Slice tomatoes into thick slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Dip tomato slices in batter, and fry in a hot greased skillet until brown on both sides.
- Good for breakfast or lunch, served with bacon.
Hmmm, my heirloom tomatoes are in so I made this as a side dish to an easy Sunday meal. I found these are best eaten right out of the pan as standing they become rather limp and lose some of their appeal. I'd suggest draining the tomatoes on paper towels for a bit before dipping in the batter to help it stick to the slices more. We're going to have these again of that I'm sure. TFS!
Oh I know this will be so much better next summer with the suggested fresh tomatoes. Nice change for breakfast this morning. I think next time I make this (with fresh tomatoes) I'll add maybe some red pepper and fresh parsley and maybe seasoned salt to give it a boost. Thanks KC.