Recipe by IngridH
From The Africa Cookbook, this is attributed to South Africa. Wherever it comes from, this is a yummy way to eat your vegetables!
Top Review by Ck2plz
I halved this but I would keep the spices the same. There were no directions for using the water. I wet the eggplant followed with dipping it in the batter. I would bake it next time and then put under the broiler to toast it. ZWT7 for the Count Dracula and His Hot Bites.
- 2 eggplants, large
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (ground chiles, not the mix you use to make chili)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the eggplants and cut into 1 inch slices. Place the slices on a rack or in a colander, sprinkle with the salt, and let sit for 15 minutes. This will release Mix remaining ingredients into a batter.
- When the oil is hot, dip a few pieces of the eggplant in the batter until well coated. Carefully place into the hot oil, and fry for 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve immediately.