1 hr 30 mins
This IS perfect fried chicken!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup table salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken pieces (cut breasts in half horizontally)
- 1Whisk one qwt. cold water, salt, and sugar in large bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Add chicken and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to one hour.
- 2Whisk water, flour, cornstarch, pepper, paprika, baking powder, salt, and cayenne in large bowl until smooth. Refrigerate batter while chicken is brining.
- 3Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. Remove chicken from refrigerator, pour off brine, and pat dry with paper towels.
- 4Rewhisk batter. Transfer half of chicken to batter. One by one, remove chicken from batter (allowing excess to drip back into bowl) and transfer to oil. Fry chicken, adjusting burner as necessary to maintain oil temperature between 300 and 325 degrees, until deep golden brown and white meat registers to 160 degrees, 12-15 minutes.
- 5Drain chicken on wire rack set inside rimmed baking sheet. Bring oil back to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining chicken. Serve.
- 6Can reheat by placing chicken on wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet and warming in a pre-heated 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Batter-Fried Chicken from Cook's Illustrated
Serving Size: 1 (752 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6616.4
- Calories from Fat 6210
- Total Fat 690.0 g
- Saturated Fat 121.5 g
- Cholesterol 207.0 mg
- Sodium 8044.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 55.0 g