Recipe by Darlene Summers
Catfish is my husband's favorite. Mine is crappie, but this is how he likes his catfish.
Top Review by jimjam63
Nice batter.....needs a little more seasoning though for my taste; pepper, etc.... but the batter held onto the fish like a pro! (I did let it soak for about 10 minutes while the oil was heating up)
- 1 lb catfish nuggets (about 1 inch thick)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash catfish and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut fish into 1 inch cubes.
- Place on paper towels and set aside while doing next step.
- COMBINE: Flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Add milk, egg and butter; beat until smooth.
- Heat 1 inch or more of oil in a skillet to 365 degrees on medium heat (be sure you allow oil temperature to come back to 365 degrees between batches).
- Dip one fish cube at a time into batter, coating all sides. Place as many in the oil as you can fit WITHOUT crowding.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.