Recipe by BoxO'Wine
Yummy onion rings to go with grilled steak or burgers. Prep time does not include marinating time.
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds,separated into rings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine onion rings, buttermilk and 1 teaspoon ground cumin in large bowl.
- Let soak at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- pour oil into large deep skillet to depth of 1 1/2" and heat to 375 degrees F.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp cumin in shallow dish.
- Drain onion rings.
- Add a few onion rings to flour mixture and turn to coat.
- Add to oil and fry until golden brown, about 1/2 min.
- Repeat until all onions are cooked.
- Drain on paper towels after each batch is cooked.