Recipe by Julie B's Hive
"365 Ways to Cook Chicken" and this is just one of them. Poaching cuts down on frying time later. I like to buy family packs of drumsticks and have them on hand over the weekend-makes for great snacking!
- 6 lbs chicken pieces, cut-up
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 quarts vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs, well beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken pieces in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole. Add 2 cups water, bay leaves, cloves, garlic, and celery seed. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from stock. Strain and reserve 1 1/3 cups of the stock. Refrigerate chicken for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or deep-fat fryer, heat all but 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, combine pancake mix, paprika, salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, eggs, and reserved chicken stock. Generously coat each piece of chicken with batter.
- Fry chicken in batches without crowding 7-10 minutes, turning once, until golden brown and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.