Batter-Dipped Cheese & Tomato Sandwiches
- In large pan, cook the whole cloves in the butter and oil over medium-low till soft and fragrant, 5-10 minutes. Do not let the garlic brown.
- Meanwhile, slice the tomato. Spread each slice of bread with mustard. Place a slice of cheese on each slice of bread. Dividing evenly, arrange the tomato slices, and basil and top with the remaining cheese and bread slices.
- In shallow bowl, beat egg and milk together. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, turn once to soak both sides.
- Discard the garlic. Warm the oil in the pan over medium heat till hot but not smoking. Add the sandwiches and cook till golden brown, 2-3 minutes each side.
- **To bruise garlic, lay it on a flat surface and place the flat side of a chef's knife or santoku knife atop it. Bump the flat part of the blade with the palm of your hand to crack open the clove to allow its juices to exude.