Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
A hearty winter tradition that is wonderful after winter activities. If desired, add some diced cottage roll from Baton Twirling's Slow Cooker Cottage Roll to finished soup. From joycesfinecooking.com.
- reserved juices, from cottage roll or any kind stock or water
- 1 1⁄2 cups split peas or 1 1⁄2 cups yellow split peas, washed,picked over
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- diced cottage roll (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Remove congealed surface fat from cooking liquid and discard.
- If you don't have cooking liquid from Baton Twirling's Slow Cooker Cottage Roll recipe, leave it out and substitute any kind of stock or water.
- While chopping vegetables, heat liquid in saucepan or microwave a few minutes until warm.
- Pour liquid into slow cooker along with peas, carrots, celery, onion, thyme and pepper.
- Add cooking liquid or any kind of stock or water to within 2 inches of top of slow cooker.
- Stir, cover and cook on low setting 10 to 12 hours or until peas and vegetables are soft.
- In food processor or blender, purée soup in batches until smooth.
- If necessary, return to slow cooker to heat to serving temperature (or on stove in saucepan or in microwave).
- Add diced cottage roll, if using, to soup before heating.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
I've been making Pea Soup for more than 40 years and it never occurred to me to use the stock from a cottage roll, which I love. I usually buy a pork hock, and it can turn out somewhat salty, but the stock from the cottage roll, while it was salty before adding the veggies, it actually needed salt added after cooking the peas. I don't use the blender to puree the peas as it is just less work to soak them over-night and let them fall apart during cooking. If you want to thicken it up somewhat grate 1-2 raw potatoes into it about an hour before it is done. That is my secret.
The secret to good Habitant Pea Soup according to my mother is to GRATE the carrots fine, not chop them. This is good comfort food on a cold winter day!
Great soul-warming soup on a cold wintery day. So easy to make in a crock for a day with other things to attend to. I used my stick blender to smooth it up a little but I like it chunky. Thanks for sharing a great and easy recipe. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2011.