Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A cottage roll is the top end of the shoulder, otherwise known as the shoulder butt and is cured in a brine. They are usually just the right size for a slow cooker and are available at most supermarkets. You can have this with cabbage or creamed corn & boiled potatoes. Serve a little hot mustard on the side. The cottage roll will shred instead of slice, just like pulled meat does. Delish! Save the cooking liquid to make Baton Twirling's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup recipe the next day. From joycesfinecooking.com.
- Remove wrapper from cottage roll.
- Rinse and place in slow cooker with peppercorns, bay leaf, celery, carrot, onion, bacon and potato.
- Add water to within 1 inch of top of slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low setting 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove cottage roll, strain cooking liquid, discarding vegetable and seasonings.
- Take about 1/4 cup of the liquid& mix it with brown sugar& butter.
- Spread evenly over cottage roll, place under the broiler turning& basting often till it is browned.
- Slice cottage roll& serve.
- If desired, refrigerate remaining liquid overnight for Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup.