Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 mins
Taken from a Healthy Meals in Minutes card. VERY HOT!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
For Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- To prepare spice mix, on a sheet of waxed paper, combine all spices; mix well.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or other heavy skillet over med-high heat until very hot, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush chicken with margarine.
- Dredge chicken in spice mix, patting firmly to adhere.
- Place chicken in prepared skillet and cook, turning once until coating is blackened and chicken is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
This is really good just WAY too hot! We, especially my hubby, enjoy spicy food but this was too much. I did cut the cayenne in half based on the other reviews but it was still too hot. I will make it again & cut the cayenne down even more because there really is a lot of flavour & the chicken cooks perfectly with this method.
Oh wow! This is hot, hot, hot! I am a hot and spicy fanatic, so I had no fear in tagging this recipe. In fact, I used chicken tenders, so I could get more of the hot stuff on every morsel of chicken! I really enjoyed this, but even I think it might be a little "too hot"! (I had to use some ranch dip to tone it down, something I never do!) Overall, I really enjoyed this! It was nice and spicy, perfect for opening my head during pollen season :) Thanks so much for sharing your recipe. Made for PRMR tag.
This was very much like blackened chicken, an old favorite of ours which we made a lot during the 90's. I liked the spices in this although I missed the salt. I think adding that would bring out the savory juiciness of the meat. We did cook this in cast iron on the grill outside to keep the spices from smoking in the kitchen. Thanks for sharing. ~Sue