Recipe by Hajar Elizabeth
This dish takes a slightly different turn depending upon the cook. Some, like me prefer more lemon or vinegar. Some only use vinegar or lemon due to finances and can't interchange though most of us do exchange them equally. In any case it is a wonderful potato salad that is a bit different than usual. In summer I use the tomato and out of summer I do not. Basically if I feel like adding the tomato I do and if I don't, then I don't. This is easy to make as most ingredients are already home and we often serve this with our fall and winter soups and crusty baguette. c.2005
Top Review by Annacia
I liked this very much except for the added tomato which I found myself picking out. Loved the oil and lemon dressing and I did use more of each than was ask for because I had to use russet potatoe's. I made a half recipe just for myself and I'll be able to enjoy it again today. Made for NA/ME (North African/Middle East) trip to Morocco.
- 5 large potatoes
- 4 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 fresh tomato, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 fresh lemon
- 2 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cooking salt, to season potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- You want good waxy boiling potatoes for this. The cooking salt is for seasoning and cooking the potatoes inches The 1 teaspoons of salt listed is for after potatoes are cooked and is only approximate; salt to taste.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Boil potatoes in salted water until cooked through and not mushy.
- Drain cooked potatoes and allow to cool though still quite warm.
- Add remaining ingredients and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight is best. The salt to season is your personal choice.
- The amount of lemon juice or vinegar and oil will vary according to your potatoes, so season with these accordingly. This salad should be more tangy than oily. At times, 2-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise is added this too is authentic. This depends on the mood of the cook/consumers.
- To make this into another very popular salad; batata and zrodia slata, simply add 3 cooked carrots cut into approximately 4mm coins. Season accordingly. You will notice the lack of use of black pepper in this dish. I have not to date had a batata or a batata and zrodia slata which contained black pepper.