Hajar Elizabeth's Note:
This dish takes a slightly different turn depending upon the cook. Some, like me prefer more lemon or vinegar. Some only use vinegar or lemon due to finances and can't interchange though most of us do exchange them equally. In any case it is a wonderful potato salad that is a bit different than usual. In summer I use the tomato and out of summer I do not. Basically if I feel like adding the tomato I do and if I don't, then I don't. This is easy to make as most ingredients are already home and we often serve this with our fall and winter soups and crusty baguette. c.2005
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You want good waxy boiling potatoes for this. The cooking salt is for seasoning and cooking the potatoes inches The 1 teaspoons of salt listed is for after potatoes are cooked and is only approximate; salt to taste.
- 2Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- 3Boil potatoes in salted water until cooked through and not mushy.
- 4Drain cooked potatoes and allow to cool though still quite warm.
- 5Add remaining ingredients and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight is best. The salt to season is your personal choice.
- 6The amount of lemon juice or vinegar and oil will vary according to your potatoes, so season with these accordingly. This salad should be more tangy than oily. At times, 2-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise is added this too is authentic. This depends on the mood of the cook/consumers.
- 7To make this into another very popular salad; batata and zrodia slata, simply add 3 cooked carrots cut into approximately 4mm coins. Season accordingly. You will notice the lack of use of black pepper in this dish. I have not to date had a batata or a batata and zrodia slata which contained black pepper.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Batata Slata -- Moroccan Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.6
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 215.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: