2 hrs 30 mins
This is the easiest and best water challah recipe yet! The recipe is very forgiving and seems to come out great no matter what. You can substitute your choice of flour or sugar or oil. Add or substract any combination of seeds you want. If you use spelt flour, be prepared for a very very sticky dough. But don't worry, it still comes out great!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If you are using any combination of the seeds you may toast them in a skillet over moderate heat for a few minutes but it is not necessary.
- 2In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the flour and yeast with the olive oil, honey, and water, and mix on low speed until a very soft dough forms. Add the salt and all but 1 TBS. of the seeds [if using] and mix on medium-low speed, until dough is soft and supple, about 10 minutes.
- 3Transfer dough to a large oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until dough has doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4Put parchment paper on one large or two small baking sheets. Dust parchment with cornmeal if desired. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and press to deflate. Cut the dough in half and let rest for five minutes. Shape dough as desired. [If using spelt flour it may be too sticky to braid. It can be made into a single 'rope' and 'coiled' or just placed in pan for oblong or rounded loaves.].
- 5Transfer shaped dough to the baking sheet or sheets and cover with plastic wrap for about 1 hour, until nearly doubled.
- 6Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk the egg with 1 TBS. of water. Brush over the loaves and let stand uncovered for 30 minutes. Brush again with egg wash and sprinkle with reserved seeds. Bake loaves in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, until they're golden brown. Transfer to racks and let cool completely before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bat-Sheva's Sephardic Challah
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.1
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 708.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 7.4 g