1/1 Photo of Bastani (Persian Rose Water, Saffron and Pistachio Ice Cream)
4 hrs 30 mins
Sephardi Kitchen's Note:
This was the first time I ever made custard-based ice cream, and it was delicious! The rose water and saffron go great together, without overpowering each other. I doubled the original recipe, since most ice cream machines need at least 4 cups of liquid (also because my family gobbled it up in no time!).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole milk or 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream or 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 6 -8 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts, chopped (If using salted ones, make sure to soak and drain first)
- 3 -4 tablespoons rose water or 3/4 teaspoon rose extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, ground and dissolved in a tablespoon of hot milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1In a medium thick-bottomed bot, slowly heat the milk to boiling while stirring. Add the vanilla extract and saffron. Continue to cook on low heat, stirring occasionally while doing the next step.
- 2Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until smooth and foamy. Very carefully and slowly, pour the egg/sugar mixture into the milk. Make sure to stir it rapidly with a fork or use a whisk while pouring (or you will end up with scrambled eggs in the ice cream!).
- 3Continue heating the mixture on low heat while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until thickened (it should be foamy and coat the spoon).
- 4Pour the custard mixture into a bowl, and refrigerate until well chilled.
- 5Once cold, stir in the cream, rose water or extract, and chopped pistachios.
- 6Churn in an ice cream maker until finished (or, stick in the freezer and vigorously stir every 30 minutes or so to break up the ice crystals, until it is homogenous and frozen).
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bastani (Persian Rose Water, Saffron and Pistachio Ice Cream)
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.5
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 132.8 mg
- Sodium 45.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 31.4 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: