Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
Traditional Sudanese sweet and nutty pastry.
- 2 cups peanuts (unsalted, or wash salted)
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup ghee or 3⁄4 cup butter
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup caster sugar
- squeeze lemon juice
- Mill the peanuts.
- Melt butter and sugar, and mix in peanuts.
- Brush 1 sheet phyllo with a little melted butter.
- Add small blobs of peanut mix over the top half of the phyllo pastry.
- Roll up the pastry into a sausage, starting from the nut covered end.
- Repeat with all sheets of phyllo.
- Bake for 40 minitess in oven at 220°C on baking sheet.
- Put sugar, water and lemon in pan and boil until becomes syrupy.
- Cut pastries into 2cm pieces, but leave them lying in their strips.
- Cover in the sugar syrup.
- When cool transfer onto some newspaper to absorb excess liquid.
- Eat and enjoy.