Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a great meal for two, or it can be an appetizer for about 8 people. It's really great for parties because it's made ahead of time and then needs to chill. I found this in a Junior League cookbook. Prep time includes the 2 hour chill time.
- 2 (12 ounce) cans dark beer
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill seed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, in the shell
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- lettuce leaf
- black olives
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 7 (beer through peppercorns) in a saucepan; bring to a boil then reduce the heat; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp; cook for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the shrimp turn pink.
- Pour into a glass bowl; add the vinegar and garlic.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or longer.
- Drain the shrimp; discard the bay leaf; mound in the center of a lettuce-lined serving plate.
- Garnish with black olives.
- This makes 2 main-dish, or 8 appetizer servings.