Prep 28 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: Inspired by the piperades of the sunny Basque region of France and Spain, this easy oven omelet makes a perfect main dish any time of day. Or serve it cold or at room temperature for a delightful tapas snack.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon spanish paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen salad shrimp, thawed
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat a 12" oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook bacon until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- Pour off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease.
- Add potatoes to skillet, cover, and cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes.
- Stir in red bell pepper and garlic and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Beat together eggs, paprika, ancho powder, thyme, black pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Stir tomatoes, shrimp, and reserved bacon into skillet mixture.
- Add egg mixture and sprinkle Mozzarella on top.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are set an Mozzarella is melted.
I trimmed back this recipe for one, and it was quite a generous serving. I liked that it used the potatoes as sort of a bottom crust, then just pop in the oven to finish off.