Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a somewhat simplified version of a recipe from 'Basque Cooking and Lore' by Darcy Williamson. Our second home is in SW Idaho, which has a strong Basque community, and we have learned to love the Basque cuisine.
- 4 whole trout (cleaned)
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely cut of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Lay fish in one layer in oven-proof dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients, pour over fish, and let stand 30 minutes.
- Turn and marinate 15 minutes longer.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 25 minutes or until fish is firm to the touch.
- OR Freeze fish with marinade in zip-lock bag.
- Thaw and bake as above.
Hubby wasn't thrilled with this recipe but I didn't mind it.