Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple weeknight dinner from Hunt's.
Make and share this Basque-Style Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, halved
- 2 medium bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked rice, hot
- In 12-inch skillet, cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat 10 minutes or until light brown, turning to brown evenly.
- Remove chicken.
- Add mushrooms, sweet peppers and onion to skillet.
- Cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, wine, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Return chicken to skillet.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, 25 - 30 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Transfer chicken to platter.
- Cover; keep warm.
- Skim any fat from vegetable mixture.
- Combine water and cornstarch; stir into vegetable mixture.
- Stir in peas.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Spoon over chicken and rice.
I used bone-in chicken breasts cut in half, so mine did take a bit longer to cook I followed the advice of another poster and added some garlic and thyme. This is beautiful, flavorful and easy--who could ask for more? Thanks for posting! Made for the Lively Lemon Lovelies, ZWT8, Pick a Pepper Challenge.
DH and I made this dish for dinner tonight. Although we salted and peppered the chicken before sauteeing and added garlic and saffron to the sauce, like Chia suggested, we still found the dish to be a little bit plain for our tastes. Adding some parmesan cheese to the dish helped a bit. I did like that this was easy to prepare for a mid-week meal and required very little prep. Thanks!
I used fresh oyster,fresh bella and fresh shitakii Mushrooms, a mix of red and yellow bell peppers for color and sweetness, a minced jalapeno for heat, canned crushed tomatoes, added 2 cloves of garlic and a pinch of saffron. Seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and paprika before frying. Made for ZWT 5 and really enjoyed it! Yummy good. Thanks