1/2 Photos of Basque Scrambled Eggs (Tapas)
From The Tapas Cookbook. Serves 4-6 as part of a tapas meal. Tip: to peel a tomato, bring a small saucepan filled with water to a lively simmer; using a fork, spear the top of the tomato where the stem used to be and dunk into the simmering water to a count of 10 seconds; remove tomato and being careful not to burn yourself, peel the tomato with a paring knife.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons Spanish olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 ounces chorizo sausage, thinly sliced, casings removed, if preferred (55 g)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 -6 thick slices country bread, toasted, to serve
- 1Preheat an oven on low or warm setting.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottom skillet.
- 3Add the onion and bell peppers and sauté for about minutes, or until the vegetables are softened, but not browned. Toss in the tomatoes and heat through. Remove to a plate and place in oven to keep warm.
- 4Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the chorizo and cook for 30 seconds, enough to warm through and flavor the oil. Remove the sausage to the plate of warmed vegetables.
- 5Add enough oil to the pan to make up 2 tablespoons. Add butter and let melt. Season the eggs with salt and pepper, then add them to the skillet. Scramble the eggs until they are cooked to the desired degree of firmness. Add extra seasoning to taste. Return the vegetables to the skillet and stir through.
- 6Serve immediately over the hot toast.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basque Scrambled Eggs (Tapas)
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 674.5
- Calories from Fat 367
- Total Fat 40.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 500.3 mg
- Sodium 766.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 28.7 g