1 hr 20 mins
This recipe originates from the Basque people of northeastern Spain and southwestern France. This is a very hearty soup, something I'd recommend for a cold winter day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced diagonally
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine (or other dry red wine)
- 2 tablespoons celery leaves, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1Cook the sausage and onion in a large Dutch oven for 5 minutes, stirring frequently; drain well. Add the tomatoes, beef stock, bay leaf, and thyme.
- 2Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3Stir in the potatoes, celery, carrots, Burgundy, and celery leaves. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- 4Add the cabbage, and simmer an additional 20 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. (Depending on the sausage you choose, you may not need much salt). Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basque Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (3564 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.2
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 34.7 mg
- Sodium 643.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 9.6 g