Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This tasty recipe for a classic Basque version of scrambled eggs makes a great breakfast or brunch dish.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 10 green peppers, finely sliced across
- 6 red ripe tomatoes, skinned
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 -4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 slices of bayonne ham or 4 slices bacon, to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based, non-stick saucepan. Add the onions and cook gently, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped green peppers to the onion, mixing well. Cover the pan and cook gently, stirring now and then, for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, bay and thyme. Season with sugar, Cayenne pepper, salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover the pan and cook gently, stirring now and then, for 25 minutes.
- Mix the beaten egg into the pepper mixture. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve the piperade at once garnished with Bayonne ham.