Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From the cookbook "Recipes from Basque Restaurants of the West." This recipe is from the Carson Valley Country Club Basque Restaurant in Garnerville, Nevada.
- Line a roasting pan with foil. Rinse the oxtails with water and place them in the roaster.
- Sprinkle lightly with cayenne (I usually use paprika), black pepper and salt.
- Bake, uncovered, at 450 degrees for one hour, turning them over occasionally so that they become nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and drain off all the fat. Set aside.
- Combine the onion, garlic and oil in a blender (or food processor). Process until the onion is finely chopped. Place this mixture in a 2 gallon vessel and cook over medium heat until it becomes translucent.
- Add the flour and wisk for about 30 seconds.
- Add 5 1/2 cups water. Whisk until the flour dissolves.
- Add tomatoes, Kitchen Bouquet and beef base.
- Bring gravy to a slow boil.
- Add the oxtails and carrots and simmer for 2 - 2 1/2 hours until the meat comes off the bones easily. Check for salt. Serve hot.
- Note: The recipe lists tomatoes in the directions but not in the ingredients, so I just added 2 diced tomatoes when I have made this. I also add some celery, but that isn't in the original recipe.