2 hrs 20 mins
I have never tried this recipe in a slow cooker but I think it could easily be adapted . Cook the shanks on low all day, have the beans prepared and finish the last steps before serving. Great taste, don't be scared of the 12 cloves of garlic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lamb shanks
- 10 tablespoons lite olive oil
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 lb mushroom, button sized
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine
- 1 cup navy beans, cooked with garlic below
- 4 cloves garlic (use canned and bring to a boil with the garlic)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1Brown the shanks in a Dutch oven in 2 tbsp oil, remove shanks.
- 2Add 4 cloves of garlic and the mushrooms, brown well.
- 3Return shanks to the pot, add wine and the broth.
- 4Cook covered, in a 350F oven for about 2 hours (add more broth if needed) until the meat falls off the bone.
- 5Meanwhile prepare your beans, if starting from scratch boil the beans with 4 cloves of garlic until they are tender, if using canned bring them to a boil with the garlic and let them steep.
- 6Remove the garlic from the beans.
- 7Remove bones from the shanks.
- 8Add beans to the meat and heat through.
- 9Meanwhile prepare the sauce combining 4 cloves of minced garlic,salad oil, parsley and vineger, You may warm the sauce or have it at room temp.
- 10Serve the sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basque Lamb Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1035.7
- Calories from Fat 612
- Total Fat 68.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 242.1 mg
- Sodium 432.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 78.4 g