Recipe by Ceezie
Basques use ham and chicken in different entrees. This is an outstanding cream soup that will have you coming back for more. The recipe calls for you to let the soup sit for 2 hours to let the flavors blend - but I usually whip this soup up the day before I need it as it is so much better the second day.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup broccoli floret, divided into small pieces
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 minced parsley
- 1 cup chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup ham, cut into small pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups whole milk, cold
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup butter (to saute vegetables)
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons chicken base
- minced garlic (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a heavy stock pot, add flour - whisking rapidly. Add milk slowly whisking all the time. Whisk in water. Keep warm.
- In another smaller pot, saute onions and carrots in butter over medium heat, stirring frequently. When they are almost done add all the other vegetables and garlic, stir gently. When the vegetables are almost cooked, add them to the creamed mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 min, scraping the bottom of the pot often so that the soup will not burn. Remove the bay leaf. (Do not cook too long or the vegetables will disintegrate and the texture will change) Set aside for 2 hours to let the flavors blend. Then refrigerate. Its even tastier the second day.