1/1 Photo of Basque Fish Soup
1 hr 5 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
I just re-found this recipe while going through my Mom's old file box. She used to make this quite often when I was a child. She probably found the recipe in the newspaper. This is a quick, easy and delicious recipe using ingredients that I usually have on hand. It's also very versatile as for substituting....I didn't have fresh parsley so I used dried. I only had 1 can of diced tomatoes so I used the can of Ro-tel, which I did have on hand. Also, use any combo of fish/shellfish...tonight I made this using 2 small tilapia fillets and 1/2 lb. of bay scallops, it was a nice combo. This is a great cold weather soup....it will give you the warm fuzzies. I served it with freshly baked dinner rolls, though a crusty bread would be nice too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml chopped celery, with leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 29.58 ml butter
- 2 (822.13 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 118.29 ml minced fresh parsley
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 453.59 g frozen fish fillet, thawed, cut into chunks (can use any combo of fish or shrimp or scallops)
- 1In a large saucepan, saute onions, celery and garlic in butter until tender, about 7 minutes.
- 2Stir in tomatoes, wine, parsley, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- 3After the 30 minute simmer you can refrigerate or freeze the tomato mixture, if desired and continue as directed below**.
- 4Add the fish and simmer 7-10 minutes or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily.
- 5**reheat tomato mixture by covering and simmering for about 10 minutes or until hot. Continue as directed in step #4.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basque Fish Soup
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.4
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 77.6 mg
- Sodium 457.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 28.4 g