Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I just re-found this recipe while going through my Mom's old file box. She used to make this quite often when I was a child. She probably found the recipe in the newspaper. This is a quick, easy and delicious recipe using ingredients that I usually have on hand. It's also very versatile as for substituting....I didn't have fresh parsley so I used dried. I only had 1 can of diced tomatoes so I used the can of Ro-tel, which I did have on hand. Also, use any combo of fish/shellfish...tonight I made this using 2 small tilapia fillets and 1/2 lb. of bay scallops, it was a nice combo. This is a great cold weather soup....it will give you the warm fuzzies. I served it with freshly baked dinner rolls, though a crusty bread would be nice too.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery, with leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 lb frozen fish fillet, thawed, cut into chunks (can use any combo of fish or shrimp or scallops)
- In a large saucepan, saute onions, celery and garlic in butter until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, wine, parsley, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minute simmer you can refrigerate or freeze the tomato mixture, if desired and continue as directed below**.
- Add the fish and simmer 7-10 minutes or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily.
- **reheat tomato mixture by covering and simmering for about 10 minutes or until hot. Continue as directed in step #4.
Very good. Felt like I was channeling my Spanish grandma. It was a little bland but a couple of drops of hot sauce fixed it.
This dish is quick, easy, and delicious. I subbed 1 tbsp oil for the butter and vegetable broth for the white wine. I was HUNGRY when making dinner so only simmered the soup for about 10 minutes before adding the fish (mahi mahi) for an additional 10. Dinner on the table in about 30 minutes. The flavors are wonderful and everything comes together nicely. Something to make again! Thanks for posting.
I did not like this at all. I don't know what was wrong but it was too much tomato, the flavor was off, and blech.