4 hrs 45 mins
4 hrs 15 mins
Columbus took cornbread back to the Old World in the 15th century, and thanks to some of his Basque crew, cornbreads took hold and are still produced in local bakeries. Nice with a hearty soup or stew.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 cups water (warm 100-115 F, too hot will kill the yeast)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1/2 oz)
- 4 1/2-5 cups bread flour
- 3 cups cornmeal (plus extra cornmeal to dust baking sheet) or 3 cups polenta (plus extra cornmeal to dust baking sheet)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus olive oil to coat bowl)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1In a large mixing bowl, whisk together honey, water, and yeast until smooth (1 minute); let stand in a warm spot until a thin layer of foam covers the surface (5-10 minutes).
- 2Add 1 cup of the bread flour and the cornmeal and salt; mix well.
- 3Cover bowl, and let dough rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Stir in oil and 3 cups flour, scraping and folding until the dough comes away from sides of bowl and gathers into a single mass.
- 5Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (10 minutes), adding flour as needed to keep dough from sticking.
- 6Lightly oil a large bowl, turning to coat all sides; transfer dough to bowl.
- 7Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- 8Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 9Punch dough down, cover, and let rise for 35 minutes.
- 10Lightly grease a baking sheet and dust with cornmeal if making rounds or grease 2 (9-inch) loaf pans if making loaves.
- 11Cut dough in half and shape each half into either a round or a loaf.
- 12Let dough rest, covered loosely with a towel, for 20 minutes.
- 13Beat eggs with milk to use as a glaze; brush dough with egg mixture.
- 14Bake until bread is browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom (50 minutes).
- 15Remove from pan and cool on rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basque Cornbread (Pain De Maïs)
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.6
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.7 mg
- Sodium 361.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 5.1 g