Prep 24 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Traditionally served over rice.
- 5 lbs skinless chicken pieces, washed
- 1 1⁄4 cups lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- red pepper, to taste
- 2 cups water
- 4 bay leaves
- Mix the lemon juice, the vinegar, half the oil, the onions and pour on
- the chicken pieces in a bowl. Marinate overnight, or longer.
- Remove the chicken and the onions from the marinade. Brown the chicken on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Fry the onions in the remaining oil for a few minutes.
- Add the marinade, thyme, hot pepper, water and bay leaves. Simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Return the chicken to the sauce and cook until done, about 30 minutes.
Iâ€™m always on the look out for a new easy way to make chicken, and this fit the bill. Very good. I did omit the red pepper.
This is a unique chicken dish. It has VERY mild flavors. Almost too mild, but I enjoyed the delicacy of this dish. I marinated it for 23 hours. I served this over a bed of chicken broth simmered rice. Yum!