Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of our weekend lunches. Sometimes we replace the chicken with tuna. The cook time represents the press time.
- 1 (10 -12 ounce) baguette
- 3 ounces provolone cheese (3 thin slices) or 3 ounces mozzarella cheese (3 thin slices)
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 (7 ounce) envelope cooked chicken breasts (foil pouch)
- 2 large plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 large radishes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons sliced black olives
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, lightly packed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Basil Dressing: In a food processor with the metal blade, process all the ingredients until well blended.
- To make sandwich: Cut the bread in half horizontally; hollow out the top and bottom, leaving a 1/2 inch shell. (It may be easier if you cut the bread crosswise into 2 loaves.) Spread the dressing over the inside of the top and bottom. Layer the cheese, spinach, tuna, tomatoes, radishes, and olives in the bottom. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover with bread top.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or foil and place on a baking sheet. Top with another baking sheet and weigh down heavily with cans or weights for 1 hour. Remove the weights and serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Before serving, if desired, crisp up the bread by baking the loaf at 450 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut the loaf crosswise into 2-inch slices.