Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a simple, quick and tasty dish. It is obviously kid friendly because my 1 1/2 year old granddaughter ate 2 helpings at dinner, then more for breakfast and lunch the next day! This is courtesy of The Frugal Gourmet - On Our Immigrant Ancestors.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped small
- 1⁄2 medium bell pepper, chopped small
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat deep stove top casserole or pan and add oil and chicken (I season with salt and pepper).
- Brown chicken well and remove to platter.
- Leave oil in pan (I drain off all but 2 tablespoons).
- Add to pan the garlic, onion and bell pepper.
- Saute until onion is clear and then deglaze pan with the 1/4 cup water.
- Return chicken to pan and add the chicken stock, rice, bay leaf, and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil, cover the pan, and turn down to a simmer.
- Cook 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
This meal was tasty and quick! I used frozen cooked chicken breast. The family liked this a lot, thank you!