Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy one pan dish, serve with sourdough bread and corn on the cob.
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) frying chicken, cut up
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons other oil
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (or less)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- salt (optional)
- Rinse chicken parts and pat day.
- Combine the paprika, cayenne and pepper; rub into chicken.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot.
- Brown chicken quickly and then remove.
- In same pot, sauté the bacon, onion, garlic and pepper until softened slightly.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp fat.
- Add rice.
- Stir and cook for few minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, chicken broth, saffron and salt.
- Add the chicken pieces.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat.