1 hr 5 mins
Not your typical chicken recipe! If you are tired of cooking the same old chicken recipes -- try this one ! This one is from "Joy". It is sophisticated and extremely flavourful. I use chicken thighs. I find them to have the most robust flavour of all chicken parts. The sauce is outstanding if you add some chilies and you will likely have some left over (it is great for a quick pasta dinner the next night). I am a novice cook and this dish really made me feel like a pro !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2-4 lbs chicken parts
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs red bell peppers, and or 2 lbs yellow bell peppers (cut into 1/2 inch strips)
- 4 small fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 4 slices ham, cut into 1/2 in squares (2oz slices)
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic (about 12 cloves)
- ground black pepper
- 2 -3 cups chopped onions
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped or 1 (38 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice,seeded and crushed
- 4 -6 cups cooked white rice
- 1Rinse and pat dry the chicken parts.
- 2Heat in a wide, heavy Dutch oven over med high heat until fragrant: 3 tbsp olive oil Lightly brown chicken.
- 3Remove browned chicken to a plate.
- 4Remove all but 3 tbsp of fat in pan.
- 5Return chicken to pan.
- 6Add to pan the bell peppers, jalapenos, ham, garlic, salt (and ground black pepper).
- 7Place pan over low to med heat, cover tightly and cook at a quiet sizzle stirring often until the chiken is cooked through and the peppers are soft (about 45 min).
- 8Meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
- 9Heat in a large saucepan over me hi heat until fragrant: 2tbsp olive oil Add to saucepan: the onions (cook, stirring often until tender but not browned) Then add: tomatoes, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper.
- 10Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to med.
- 11Simmer, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened, about 20 min.
- 12Serve chicken on top of cooked white rice; spoon sauce on top.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basque Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (1110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1434.1
- Calories from Fat 635
- Total Fat 70.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 323.0 mg
- Sodium 569.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 19.5 g
- Protein 109.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: