Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Not your typical chicken recipe! If you are tired of cooking the same old chicken recipes -- try this one ! This one is from "Joy". It is sophisticated and extremely flavourful. I use chicken thighs. I find them to have the most robust flavour of all chicken parts. The sauce is outstanding if you add some chilies and you will likely have some left over (it is great for a quick pasta dinner the next night). I am a novice cook and this dish really made me feel like a pro !
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs chicken parts
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs red bell peppers, and or 2 lbs yellow bell peppers (cut into 1/2 inch strips)
- 4 small fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 4 slices ham, cut into 1/2 in squares (2oz slices)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped garlic (about 12 cloves)
- ground black pepper
- 2 -3 cups chopped onions
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped or 1 (38 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice,seeded and crushed
- 4 -6 cups cooked white rice
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken parts.
- Heat in a wide, heavy Dutch oven over med high heat until fragrant: 3 tbsp olive oil Lightly brown chicken.
- Remove browned chicken to a plate.
- Remove all but 3 tbsp of fat in pan.
- Return chicken to pan.
- Add to pan the bell peppers, jalapenos, ham, garlic, salt (and ground black pepper).
- Place pan over low to med heat, cover tightly and cook at a quiet sizzle stirring often until the chiken is cooked through and the peppers are soft (about 45 min).
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
- Heat in a large saucepan over me hi heat until fragrant: 2tbsp olive oil Add to saucepan: the onions (cook, stirring often until tender but not browned) Then add: tomatoes, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to med.
- Simmer, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened, about 20 min.
- Serve chicken on top of cooked white rice; spoon sauce on top.
ZeRic- Now that you mention it, I did add a healthy dollop of thai garlic chili sauce when I made this dish. The stuff is potent ! Thanks for reminding people to jazz up the sauce :-) asj
the main part of the recipe turned out delicious. however, the sauce left something to be desired. after simmering for ten minutes, it only tasted liike boiled tomatoes. i added a ton of garlic powder, pepper, celery seeds, teriyaki sauce, and some cheese to make the sauce edible to me. i am not a big tomatoe fan.