Recipe by KeyWee
I've had this recipe since the early 70's. There is something about the blend of flavors that I like - maybe it's the Vermouth!
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (skinned or not as desired)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 cup sweet vermouth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- In Dutch oven, heat oil, and brown chicken pieces on all sides.
- Add remaining ingredients except cornstarch, cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Place chicken on heated platter.
- Thicken sauce with the cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water.
- Add to tomato mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until sauce is desired thickness.
- Remove bay leaf and pour sauce over chicken.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta.