Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 3⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup sour cherry preserves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy.
- Gradually beat in the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Sift the cake flour, salt, and baking powder together and use a rubber spatula to fold the dry ingredients into this butter mixture until a soft dough form and no white streaks of flour remain.
- Spread half the batter evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Stir the.
- almond extract, if using, into the cherry preserves.
- Spoon the cherry preserves over the batter, spreading it within 2 inches of the border.
- Drop the remaining batter by large spoonfuls over the preserves.
- Spread the batter carefully over the jam to the edge of the pan.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds, if using.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a bamboo skewer inserted into the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Unmold the cake and dust with confectioners sugar.