Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These are really good 'baked beans'. Especially for those who don't like their beans sweet.
Make and share this Basque Beans (Including Crock Pot Version) recipe from Food.com.
- Soak beans overnight.
- Cover beans with cold water and cook until nearly tender (about 1 ½ hours, or 30 minutes in a pressure cooker).
- (this can be done a day ahead) In large casserole, heat oil and cook onion until soft; stir in garlic, then tomatoes, parsley, beans, red pepper flakes, oregano and 1 cup water.
- Simmer, covered, over medium-low heat, or uncovered in 340°F oven for 2-3 hours, until beans are tender and most of liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in green pepper and cook, uncovered, 20 minutes longer.
- Season to taste.
- For crock pot: Prepare beans up to step 2.
- Add all remaining ingredients, including beans, to your crock pot.
- Cook on low for 10-12 hours.
i wish i could rate this higher, but this recipe didn't work for us. i made it in the crockpot as suggested after preparing the beans, sliced 3 onions and added the ingredients, cooked this on low for 10 hrs. the onions would have been better chopped, they overwhelmed the dish and the flavor was, in general, bland. some chilis or other spices would have added missing flavor.
I didn't really care for these, but they are getting three stars because my hubby liked them. I had them in the oven for only two hours and they came out dry. I thought the amount of onion was fine, but the whole dish needed more flavor. I might play with this recipe more, it has potential!
These beans were just okay for hubby and I. We ate what was on our plates, but didn't reach for seconds... they had WAY too much onion for our tastes. I made these as directed (except I subbed some yellow, red & orange sweet peppers for the green pepper) using the crock pot method. Bacon would really make these beans taste better (but I think bacon makes everything taste better - go figure). I'm glad that I tried these beans, even if I won't be making them again. Made for ZWT5 for the Groovy GastroGnomes.