Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Rice is the centerpiece of an Afghan party, and people always pay attention to see that it is cooked properly and that there is plenty. This dish is traditionally made with lamb, but because many customers at catering events are vegetarian, it has been successfully adapted to a vegetarian dish. I at least double the spice amounts but have posted the original quantities.
- 473.18 ml basmati rice
- 14.79 ml salt
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 14.79 ml granulated sugar
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground cardamom
- 1.23 ml cumin
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 4 carrots
- 236.59 ml golden raisin
- Rinse rice under running water until water is clear.
- In large bowl, cover rice with water; soak for 1 hour, drain.
- Add salt to large pot of boiling water; add rice.
- Cover and simmer until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup (250 mL) cooking liquid; set liquid aside.
- Pour rice into large Dutch oven.
- In skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sugar; stir until dissolved.
- Add reserved cooking liquid; bring to boil.
- Slowly pour over rice, stirring to coat.
- Stir in cardamom, cinnamon, cumin and pepper.
- Bake in 450°F (230°C) oven until water is evaporated, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200°F (100°C); bake, covered, for 1 hour.
- Spoon into serving dish, mounding attractively.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut carrots into very thin strips or grate coarsely.
- In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; saute carrots and raisins until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon over rice.
The spicing is light and I did double it with the advice of the intro and another reviewer. My problem was that 1 hour soaking of the Indian Basmati rice I used was too much. The rice broke up somewhat during cooking so the soaking time should depend on the type of rice. I'm sure the original rice used for this recipe in Afghanistan does benefit from the hour though. I have had this dish with meat before and this was, minus the rice mishap a good vegetarianized version. I used sea salt, canola oil to be soy free, freshly ground black pepper, organic carrots, plus the rest. I did steam it less time or my rice would have disintegrated. Served with a whole roast chicken and Pomegranate Raita. Made for Newest Zaar Tag (Winter).
This is a wonderful rice dish that can be cooking while you are making another dish. I served it with chicken curry and it was heavenly. Next time I will double the spices as recommended. Made for Photo Tag.
Increase the spice amount. My husbands loves this dish and therefore I love this recipe. Finally able to get him to eat his vegetables. lol. smh